Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Baby Flax!

Look what I found yesterday morning! The first flax seedlings in my garden pot experiment popped their little heads out of the soil in the early light of May 24th. They germinated in exactly 7 days. Cute little guys! It's hard to believe these tiny things will hopefully become about 36-inch tall stalks at full growth. 


Oh my, how they grow!

As of this morning, May 25th, the pot is full of little green heads. Although fiber flax likes to be densely grown to produce the straightest stalks and fewer flowers (fewer flowers mean fewer breaks in the final flax fiber), I will definitely be culling a few as they grow.



To continue the experiment with a staggered start, I seeded 4 new pots yesterday, so now I have a total of 8 pots of flax to tend and watch grow for the summer.

A question to put out there… do deer eat flax plants? There was a deer in our driveway this morning. Uh oh. Some research is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment